We have worked closely with industry experts and managers to offer courses that will make a real difference to your work in the industry and support your career development goals.
Introduction to Rail Signalling
The ARA’s Introduction to Rail Signalling Course is designed to provide an overview of signalling operations in the rail industry.
Our second intake for Introduction to Rail Signalling Course will commence in October 2023. Download the course flyer for more information.
Register here for October 2023 intake.
Who is this course for?
This course has been designed for a people with varying degrees of knowledge about rail operations. Whether you work in rail operations, are a graduate new to the industry wanting to build your skills, an engineering practitioner involved in signalling projects or considering a career change, this course will help provide you with a basic understanding of what you need to know.
What will I learn?
Over five weeks, you will participate in five, 60 – 90 minute live and interactive webinars as well as 90 minutes of interactive self-guided educational activities each week via our online learning platform.
By the end of this course, you will know about:
- How to adopt key signalling terminology and use it in your work environment
- Rail signalling principles and the core elements of the signalling system
- The critical role the signalling systems play in the context of safe working system
- The importance of systems integration in the context of lineside and digital signalling systems within a single network
- The evolution of signalling including future trends and modern signalling systems
- The complexities of assuring the safe operation of both lineside and digital signalling assets
- The principles of digital signalling design
- Learn about Future Railway Mobile Communication Systems (FRMCS) and its role in rail safety related communications and enabling new signalling systems
- How to read a signalling plan
- Understanding maintenance aspects of the signalling system
- Pathways to signalling
Meet your course presenter
Jane Copperthwaite FIEAust, CPEng, RPEQ
Jane is a highly accomplished leader with a strong focus on rail signalling. She has experience working in both the public and private sectors in the UK and Australia. In her previous roles, Jane and her team were working to ensure Cross River Rail’s rail technology system integrates into the Queensland Rail operations.
Jane has an Honours Degree in Control Engineering, is a Chartered Professional Engineer, RPEQ, member of the Institution of Railway Signal Engineers and a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia.
Course learning modules
Module 1: What is railway signalling and why do we need it?
Module 2: Signalling systems as part of a safeworking system
Module 3: Design and integration of signalling systems
Module 4: Whole of life management of a signalling system
Module 5: Transition to future systems
This comprehensive course is available to ARA members for $1980 and $2750 for ARA non-members. All prices include GST.