The Australasian Rail Industry Awards recognise and celebrate the achievements, innovation and successes of those working in the rail industry.
Celebrate with the industry at our virtual awards gala!
Award winners will be announced at our virtual ARI Awards Gala on Thursday 4 November.
Date and time: Thursday 4 November from 4-5.30pm AEDT
Recognising the best and brightest in the industry
We are delighted to announce the finalists for the 2021 Australasian Rail Industry (ARI) Awards. These people, projects and teams represent some of the best and brightest in the rail industry and their recognition celebrates their outstanding contribution and innovation over the past year.
The finalists were chosen from among high calibre nominations across 13 award categories.
Signalling and Systems Engineering Award (IRSE)
- Lido Costa, Rio Tinto Iron Ore
- Eric Poon, Transdev Australasia
Emerging Rail Specialist Award (RTAA)
- Jake Vanderlinde, Shoal Group
- Alexander Taylor, RKR Engineering
- Nithurshan Nadarajah, Monash Institute of Railway Technology
Young Achiever Award (PWI NSW)
- Ben Bakowski, Coleman Rail
- Melanie Bowden, CPB Contractors
- Devin Devendra, WSP
Young Rail Professional Award (RTSA)
- Christopher Bowen, Downer – Rail and Transit Systems
- Mary Nguyen, Sydney Trains
- Ben Milroy, Downer
- Phillip Bradt, DB Engineering and Consulting
Safety Award (RISSB)
- Monash Institute of Railway Technology – In-service Instrumented Vehicles
- Sydney Trains – Platform Gap Filler
- Sydney Trains – Enterprise Track Worker Safety Program (ETWS) Program
Customer Service Award (ARA)
- Metro Trains Melbourne – A year of challenge: dynamic customer service
- Sydney Trains – Sydney Harbour Bridge Rail Deck Upgrade
- Wabtec Corporation – Delivering results during uncertain times
- Sydney Trains – Multimodal Customer Information at Stations
Employee Engagement Award (ARA)
Sponsored by Andrew Engineering
- Level Crossings Removal Project – LeadSafe
- Transport for NSW – I’m Transport
- VicTrack – VTV: Innovative employee engagement on a shoestring
- Metro Trains Melbourne – Stay Connected at Metro
Freight Rail Excellence Award (ARA)
- Pacific National – Provisioning Excellence
- Arc Infrastructure – Hampton Intermodal Terminal
- Transpower Electronics – Hydrogen Fuel Cellsto power electric locomotives including Slip/Slide control of bogie wheels
Innovation and Technology Award (ARA)
Sponsored by GS1 Australia
- North Western Program Alliance – Bell to Moreland Level Crossing Removal Project – 1500V Electrol Remote Isolation Switch Innovation
- KiwiRail, Downer, Aurecon – Trentham to Upper Hutt Double Tracking
- Rio Tinto Iron Ore – Banking – An Augmentation to the AutoHaul System
- Downer, TrainTraX – Data driven decision making for everyday train maintenance activities
Rail Sustainability Award (ARA)
Sponsored by Coleman Rail
- Southern Program Alliance – Additional Works Package 1 – Cheltenham and Mentone
- Western Program Alliance – Cranbourne Line Upgrade – Eumemmerring Creek Bridge
- Rail Infrastructure Alliance – Sunbury Line Rail Corridor Ecological Enhancements
- North Western Program Alliance – High Street, Level Crossing Removal Project – Reservoir Station Sustainability
Workforce Diversity Award (ARA)
- North Western Program Alliance – Workforce Diversity
- GHD – Australia Inclusion and Diversity (I&D) Strategy
- Downer – Downer’s Maryborough Facility methodology to increase workforce diversity
- Queensland Rail – Inclusion Council
TrackSAFE Foundation Award
- Queensland Rail – Trains Can’t Stop Quickly. You Can. level crossing campaign
- Metro Trains Melbourne – Rail RUOK? Month at Metro
- North Western Program Alliance – Fatigue Risk Management System
- North Western Program Alliance – Covid-19 Response Group
Career Achievement Award (ARA)
Sponsored by Frauscher Australia
- Winner will be announced on 4 November
See category details here in the Nomination Guide.
Award winners will be announced at our virtual ARI Awards on Thursday 4 November. Proceeds from the ARI Awards go to the TrackSAFE Foundation, a registered Harm Prevention Charity established by the industry to reduce near collisions, injuries, and fatalities on the rail network from suicide and reckless behaviour.
Gold Partner and Career Achievement Award Sponsor
Award category sponsors
Employee engagement award:
Innovation and technology award:
Rail sustainability award:
Show your support for industry by becoming an awards sponsor
The ARI Awards Dinner offers a unique opportunity to applaud and support excellence and innovation in Australia’s rail industry. This will provide exceptionally broad promotional and branding opportunities to the awards sponsors. Remaining sponsorship opportunities:
- Virtual Platinum Sponsor
- Silver Sponsor
- Freight Excellence Award Sponsor
- Customer Service Award Sponsor
- Workforce Diversity Award Sponsor
- TrackSAFE Foundation Award Sponsor
Should you wish to discuss sponsorship opportunities, please contact ARA General Manager Events and Partnerships Jacqui Murkins.
Hosts of the awards
The awards were established in partnership with a range of rail organisations in recognition of our shared support for excellence in the rail industry. We thank the Rail Track Association Australia, Rail Technical Society Australasia, Permanent Way Institution, Institution of Railway Signal Engineers and Rail Industry Safety and Standards Board for their continued support.
Supporting rail safety
Proceeds from the Australasian Rail Industry Awards go to the TrackSAFE Foundation, a registered harm prevention charity established by the industry to reduce near collisions, injuries and fatalities on the rail network resulting from suicide and reckless behaviour.
Need to know more?
If you need any further information on the nomination process, sponsorship or the awards, email us at email@example.com or call +61 2 6232 4700.
2020 Awards winners and finalists
The 2020 awards showcased the outstanding achievement of those working in rail in the most difficult of years. Congratulations to all our 2020 winners and finalists.