The time for urban rail is now
Urban overcrowding, traffic congestion, pollution and housing affordability affect the way Australians live, work and travel.
Congested roads cost Australia $15 billion annually through time wasted in traffic, delays and disruption to businesses, associated health problems and accidents.
An over-reliance on private road transport has contributed significantly to Australia being ranked amongst the largest carbon-emitters in the world, on a per capita basis. To meet these challenges, Governments at a State and National level need to take a strategic approach to town planning and development by implementing initiatives that improve the public transport systems in Australian capital cities and regional centres.
Building new roads is a short term solution. Urban Rail, Light Rail and the rollout of High Speed Rail (HSR) along Australia’s East Coast are long term solutions that will take cars off our roads, reduce road congestion and accidents, decrease travel time for all involved, reduce Australia’s carbon footprint and above all, improve Australia’s productivity and competitiveness.
Urban rail challenges
- increasing operation and maintenance costs;
- a lack of new capital investment in infrastructure and rolling stock;
- the need to be integrated with all transport modes; and
- improving operations to meet customers’ needs.
One passenger train can take 525 cars on the road and is equivalent to 3.2 million vehicle kilometres annually or 1000 trips Sydney to Perth.
In one year, one passenger train reduces carbon emissions by the same amount as planting 320 hectares of trees.
Road accidents cost Australia up to 1500 lives, 30,000 serious injuries and $35 billion every year.
- Sydney Metro Submission (08-10-15)0.24 MB (PDF)
- IA Submission (31-08-15)0.37 MB (PDF)
- NT Remote and Regional Transport Strategy (03-08-15)0.4 MB (PDF)
- Christmas comes early – new light rail project Parramatta (08-12-15)0.16 MB (PDF)
- Linking common sense Badgerys Creek Airport (13-11-15)0.27 MB (PDF)
- Multimodal approach for Newcastle with light rail a positive move (05-11-15)0.15 MB (PDF)
- 2016 Election Platforms (25-11-15)1.31 MB (PDF)
- A Pipeline of Opportunities (24-11-15)5.09 MB (PDF)
- Lighting of Station Environment to Comply with Disability Standards_Webb Report for ARA (16-06-15)0.34 MB (PDF)
- The carbon price package unfairly disadvantages rail, the emissions friendly mode (25-08-11)0.09 MB (PDF)